Summer is a time of vibrant colours, lush foliage, and the joy of spending time outdoors in our beautiful gardens. At Jones Garden Centre in Donabate, we understand the importance of nurturing your summer garden to ensure it stays at its best throughout the season. To help you achieve a flourishing garden, we have put together some easy maintenance jobs, a list of drought-tolerant plants, and a selection of plants that require extra attention during the hot summer months. Additionally, we have valuable tips on caring for your garden while you embark on a well-deserved holiday.
Easy Jobs to do in the Garden during Summer
- Regular Watering: Water your plants in the early morning or late evening to reduce water loss from evaporation. Ensure the soil is sufficiently moist, especially during heatwaves.
- Weeding: Stay on top of pesky weeds that compete with your plants for water and nutrients. Regular weeding will keep your garden looking tidy and healthy.
- Deadheading: Remove spent flowers from your plants to encourage new blooms and extend their flowering period.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch around your plants to retain moisture, suppress weeds, and keep the soil cool during hot days.
- Pruning: Trim back overgrown branches and spent stems to promote healthier growth and maintain the shape of your shrubs and flowering plants.
Top 5 Drought-Tolerant Plants
- Lavender (Lavandula spp.): Known for its fragrant flowers and aromatic foliage, lavender is a hardy plant that thrives in sunny and dry conditions.
- Sedum (Sedum spp.): These succulent plants come in various colours and require minimal watering, making them perfect for dry summer climates.
- Yucca (Yucca spp.): With their dramatic sword-like leaves and tall flower spikes, yuccas are excellent drought-tolerant additions to any garden.
- Echinacea (Echinacea purpurea): Also known as coneflowers, echinaceas are resilient and boast stunning daisy-like flowers that attract pollinators.
- Russian Sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia): This woody perennial features silvery foliage and spires of delicate purple-blue flowers, thriving in hot and dry conditions.
5 Plants that Need More Attention During Summer
- Hydrangeas (Hydrangea spp.): These beauties prefer consistent moisture and benefit from deep watering during hot spells.
- Fuchsias (Fuchsia spp.): With their striking pendulous flowers, fuchsias require regular watering and appreciate some shade during the hottest part of the day.
- Roses (Rosa spp.): Roses love water, so be sure to keep them well-hydrated during the summer months.
- Clematis (Clematis spp.): These climbing plants enjoy cool roots, so applying mulch and providing adequate water is essential for their well-being.
- Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum): For a bountiful harvest, tomatoes need consistent watering and regular feeding throughout the summer.
Caring for Your Garden While on Holiday
Going on holiday doesn't mean your garden has to suffer! Before you leave, follow these tips to ensure your garden stays healthy:
- Mulch: Apply a thick layer of mulch to retain moisture and keep the soil cool.
- Self-Watering Systems: Invest in self-watering systems or ask a neighbour or friend to water your plants regularly.
- Deadhead: Remove spent flowers before you leave to encourage new blooms upon your return.
- Prune: Trim back any overgrown branches or foliage to maintain the shape of your plants.
- Group Potted Plants: Cluster potted plants together in a shaded area to reduce water evaporation.
At Jones Garden Centre in Donabate, you can find a wide range of drought-tolerant plants, watering solutions, and all the gardening essentials you need to maintain a thriving summer garden. Our experts are always ready to assist you with expert advice and top-quality products to make your garden the envy of the neighbourhood. Happy gardening!